View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 02:46 AM
Clue32
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by RPAeyes View Post
If the agency is hurting for pilots, why wouldn't they promote from within? If there's AEA's who meet the license requirements and have the hours, why doesn't CBP make them pilots? I can understand the agency not allowing a low time guy to fly your Dash-8 or UH60, but what about the C206?, after all it's a Cessna

I'm still waiting to hear from the hiring center when and if I get the job
Terrific question and the answer lies in the Reagan Building. The Border Patrol used to make their own pilots. Ten-or-so years ago OAM / AMO would hire FW only folks, assign them to mixed bases, and send them to get their RW cert.

In 2013 we had a HSI agent in Laredo (Former Regional Pilot w/ FWME ATP), who wanted to stay in Laredo for family reasons, apply for a DHS only AIA announcement. This is about the same time OAM was pushing for better investigative programs with in the agency. He was turned down because he wasn't dual rated. That made no sense. He left DHS to investigate mail fraud.

Not long there after the Deputy AC was in town, a non-pilot former Customs AEA, and he said that new AIA's needed to pay their dues before joining OAM. Terrible philosophy considering how successful the USBP program was.