Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM
own nav
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
If you have ever flown unscheduled 135 aka charter where you have to file your own stuff, often in small company's without 24/7 dispatch, you would know Hate too feed a troll, cause you always seem to jump in as the know it all, pretending to know it all with only a superficial understanding of many things...
Not everything in every company is the same, and there are many different ways things are done totally LEGALLY from place to place.
I wouldn't call it "pretending", but often dated or second hand. He flew out of one of the worst bases ever (now closed), and for an annual pay as a training captain that's less than I make in bonuses alone.

One thing I will point out, Zippynh brings up 24 hour dispatch. Years ago AMF only required a check in, not the full release discussion required now.

Used to be you could put just about anyone in dispatch, it was more of an operations position, and under part 135 that was ok. Heck, I worked for another 135 op where we asked for a weather printout, and the "dispatcher" printed out a 7 day forcast from the local news.

Now days I see dispatchers getting a few weeks of mentoring, and they are much more familiar with situations that ground a flight. They are required to go over weather/notams, and review your fuel staus.