View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 01:55 PM
atpcliff
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Most people will be happier if they do something with their lives that they enjoy.

I am an airline pilot, and it is my fourth career. I was out of flying for 10 years, while I did careers #2 and #3. I have the most days off, make the most money, have the best family life, and enjoy my job the most as an airline pilot. It has taken me a while to get a job I like, and I had some flying jobs that were not great at all.

I think the advice about keeping your high paying job while you build your 1500 hours is good advice, and buying a plane to get the hours is also great advice.

Another option is the many "cadet"-type programs that are now in existence, and can be read about on this message boards. There are many programs that cost MUCH LESS than the JetBlue program, and can get you flying a lot quicker.

UAL has a program with Lufthansa. You need your CFI (CFII???). You apply to UAL/LH and fly as an instructor for the LH cadet students in AZ. After you get your 1500 hours, then you go directly to UAL. You will have to stay as a narrow-body pilot for 5? years, then you can bid into widebody. This track eliminates the need to fly for a regional.

If you want to stay living where you are, getting the 1500 hours, and then flying, based locally, for whichever organization can get you the most hours quickly, is probably the best way to get to the majors while living where you want to.

The Pilot Shortage is getting worse and worse. This is probably THE BEST time in aviation history to get into flying.

Namaste...

PS-If you have questions, please feel free to PM me.