View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 PM
FlyingStormie
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
I guess I'll add, I can't afford to buy a plane.
Owning an airplane is perhaps easier than you think. For example, you can buy a well maintained, used, Piper Arrow for $50,000ish (an example). Many people do what's known as a lease back and the club/school manages the aircraft for you, and you get money from the aircraft if it's revenue exceeds the expenses. You can "rent" your airplane for only the cost of fuel. At least that's how it works at the club I belong too.

But that's just one way.

The "best way" to get your goals accomplished is highly subjective. And, as pilots, we're all super opinionated as to the "right" way to go about it. In truth, so long as you and the school are compliant with all applicable FARs, you'll be fine.

Here's what I recommend. Since you seem to already know the basics of getting to a part 121 cockpit, I'll tackle the issue of the "bad things" you hear about certain schools. Take them with a grain of salt, but carefully consider them. People like to bash stuff online for a variety of reasons, mostly just to make themselves feel better. Also, don't fall for slick marketing campaigns conducted by most of the larger, well known schools. They aren't outright lying, but they are glossing over a lot of the finer details. For example, I picked through ATP's website for several months to get a more accurate picture of what they are and what they offer.

Further, I would recommend going to a FBO/club or small school for at least your Private. Somewhere you can work 1-on-1 with a CFI or two at your own pace. By the time you complete your PPL, you should know better what your learning style is and what your really want to do with your flying abilities. Try to pick a school that, if you choose to stay there, you can obtain all (or at least most) of your advanced ratings.

Fast paced programs aren't necessarily better, nor are they the worst evil perpetuated upon the planet. They do tend to be more expensive, but then again self-paced programs can be pricey as well, depending on your personal circumstances.