View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 12:25 PM
MKUltra
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: Professional Eugoogoolizer at the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can’t Read Good

Originally Posted by MosquitoXEL View Post
Hello,

I am starting my CFI training this week with the end goal of making it to the regionals and eventually majors. I am a newly graduated college student with my BS in nursing. My work history is a bit rocky. I held numerous jobs throughout college and have solid references. However, I was fired from my first real job after college during my first 90 days for not passing probation. One week after being let go I was hired at another hospital and I have continued to work there ever since. I have been at my current hospital for 6 months. Assuming I get my CFI in about two months, would quitting a job after 8 months look bad on a resume? I want to work as a CFI full time to build time as quickly as possible, but I also don't want to sabotage my chances of getting hired.

Side note, I have no DUIs or speeding tickets but I do have one checkride failure under my belt (commercial SEL). Assuming I don't pass my CFI the first time around that'd be two check ride failures.

Do any of these issues pose a threat to my future?

Thanks, everyone!
I really don't think you're first non aviation job would not be a issue you explain. I don't even think anyone would ask about it... heck on my interview and application for my employer I never even marked any non aviation jobs.. I just showed the interviewer my other professional resume. After being a cfi for a year you will probably have 2 or three aviation jobs under your belt by doing odd jobs, sky diving, 91 ferry, part 142 sim, etc. You'll have several letters of recommendation as well. Leaving your current job to work. As a CFI is no big deal... all i would want to hear as an interviewer, nursing just isn't for me. A part time per diem nursing job will help supplement income during cfi and regional FO years quite nicely. Nothing wrong with having a side gig.

The regional airlines will only care about aviation jobs, criminal background, check ride failures and ability to fog a mirror. My company will not hire someone with two check ride failures without some sort of help. I am at an AA WO.

Also per federal law, non aviation jobs can not say why you are no longer employed, only confirm dates of work. Aviation jobs are governed under PRIA.

There is nothing to say you have to report your first job either... there is no way for any potential aviation employer to find out.... just saying... if you need any help with employment law, feel free to ask me.