View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 PM
HIFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 777 Captain in Training

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I figured it was something like that. Ok, pardon me while a scoff a little. This "system" we all operate in now is hardly as challenging as you're making it out to be.

As far as cross-wind landings? We're talking basic flight control inputs. You really think it's valid to turn away someone with loads of experience because they lack recency in something as basic as a cross-wind landing? I seriously doubt the majority of guys coming here from whatever background are going to find a basic cross-wind landing that difficult. You want to give me an exception to the rule story about some "AOA Type" that had a tough time with cross-winds in a heavy transport category aircraft? Whatever. I'm sure we can find an RJ guy who struggled with that or something else. I know a few of the one's I've flown with recently could use some remedial radio training. But there's the 5% in every group.

Plenty of "value" in a mix of new hires from various prior walks of aviation life.
I never said that the guy was using 2500 hr RJ guys being hired as a bad thing over a few mil guys. Think what ever you want. Just pointing out the RJ guys and gals are not second tier. When our job becomes air to air combat or low attitude support for ground troops then mil rules but that is not our job. I have trained both mil and civies who had problems with crosswind landings.