Old 03-30-2006, 09:45 PM
cactusmike
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: B777/CA retired

We were going into LAS one day and had been following a Champion 727 for a while on frequency. The NFP (non flying piloto) talking on the radio had the highest, squeakiest voice I'd heard in some time. All was well until they had to start down. LA center gave them several clearances and she screwed each read back at least once. Finally, after the last clearance mistake some one came on and said " honey, please put daddy back on the radio".

My other ATC story was my own fault. I had been bumped back to the right seat of the 737 during Ch 11 and was on about my 3rd trip as F/O. We were going from LAS to SAN late at night - the 2 am arrival. Even though I should have known better, when center gave us FL 280 for a final I suggested to the Captain (fairly senior dude) that we pop on up to FL 370 for a better fuel burn (you know, the old ballistic arc theory). He said "sure" and away we went. Well, it's a short leg and we were cleared direct PGY with the expectation of the LOC 27 approach. I went off center to get ATIS and company and when I got back I noticed we were 70 out of PGY still at FL 370. About that time center came on and asked if we were going to start down soon. The Captain said OK so we commenced our descent at a leisurly 300 kts. I had the FMC prog page up and I had the arrival points properly sequenced and we were showing about 5000 feet high on the profile. Not wanting to further distinguish myself I elected not to say anything about our profile (mistake number 2). We switched to approach and got clearance to "direct swatt, join the loc for 27 and say, cactus, are you going to be able to make the approach?" The captain said sure so I dutifully replied the same. Welll sure as sh## we crossed the FAF high and fast. The wx was the usual marine layer at 1000' agl with good vis underneath. Problem was we didn't get under that layer until about 1 mile off the end of the runway, still doing about 180 kts. (about 7 miles out the captain finally started to work on getting the ship down). Tower asked if we were going to make it, I asked for a right 360, it was denied and captain said "go around". While we were climbing out on the go I made my PA to the pax and told them "ATC kept us too high on the approach". We were switched to departure and given a heading and new altitude for another approach. He then asked "what did you tell the people?". I said "say what?" He said " I just wanted to know what you told the passengers, the last time I was on a flight and we went around the pilots blamed ATC". I said, "we blamed Southwest for being on the runway". "Oh, OK, then". He vectored us around and switched us to tower for an uneventful approach and landing. As we cleared the runway tower said "taxi to the gate, use caution for Southwest". I looked around in vain for anything else moving on the airport at 2 am and said, "what Southwest?" "The Southwest jet you went around for". The captain just laughed at me.