View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 11:56 AM
5millionaire
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

[QUOTE=JollyF15;2536054]
Originally Posted by fr8doggiestyle View Post
The OP's post is so far off base and offensive to anyone hired in the last few years, I'm not sure I should even waste time replying to this thread.

1. The only thing pilots are not involved in is selecting the apps. All candidates are interviewed by retired FedEx Pilots in the panel and current pilots in the SBI.

I think that's the entire point of the letter. We as pilot's have given up control of our "Pilot Draft and Recruiting." It's like an NFL team allowing lawyers to pick players in the draft. Are they really the best judge of who will make the best Captains here? I thought we were hiring Captains. Sad to say, but I don't think that's the case right now. That's not a military or civilian thing. We are currently interviewing and hiring pilots just slightly above the bar with zero recommendations and passing on rock stars with PEs (known quantities). That's the point, don't get caught up in the military verses civilian drama.

Just because a CRJ pilot does well in F/O training, does not mean they are ready to be Captains here in 3-4 years. That's the current time line to 757 Captain. How someone does in our training programs is so short sited. Military pilots do have some hurdles to jump in the transition to the culture, flying, and crew concept (CRM) at any airline.

Let's hire the best pilots who will make good Captains here -- Period, DOT, End of Statement. The only way that will really happen is if we as pilots and instructors have the hammer of who we draft to our team.
You say “don’t get caught up with military vs civilian” but the point of your post is single seat mil guys will make better captains than everyone else. And, terrible SA on your part...a lot of guys on this forum are newish to the company. Saying that we are “slightly above the bar” is going to discredit anything you have to say and label you as “a captain I’d probably not want to fly a trip with” or (looks around) “a tool”