View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 10:38 PM
DJB23

Default newbie wanna be - questions; advice

OK,... here is the laydown:
23, Male.
Fiance... one month pregnant.
1 year college so far, general studies.
Live 20 minutes from RDU airport in North Carolina, where they have great schools and fields.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have always loved airplanes and flying in them. My grandmother got her PPL when i was in grade school and "took me up" all the time. Just me and her. I Loved it. Many years I denied getting my PPL because if I did I thoguht then I should lean towards making a career out of it. Then 9-11 hit, and saw it was a bad time to think about that. Many years passed and here I am, thinking daily and nightly about flying. Not just a PPL license. But for a career. I dont know too much about it, but I am in excellent health, good eyes, smart, etc.
Looked around online for flight shools. Came across many.
My dream is like countless others... to become a Pilot for a Major airline.
After reading many posts, I am starting to feel dissapointed at how that as a career choice is viewed.

I am worried that the job will take away needed family time. My father was never home when iw as a kid and i hated it. Still do. Did lots of damage.

Also, I am afraid that I wont make enough money and I will be living off paycheck to paycheck. I understand pilots CAN make a good living, internet suggests a mean salary of over 90K a year. I am not looking towards a get rich quick illusion. I would like to make enough to pay the bills, and live comfortably.
I also have no idea how long it might take to get this job since aviation deals with seniority and fluctuations in economy.

Does anyone have any advice that may help me understand more about my subject matter? It would be of great help.

Also, one more thing. Does anyone know anything about Phoenix East or ATP Flight Schools? You can go to their websites:
www.atpflightschool.com
w.pea.com
I understand the cost is high, but are they reputable schools? IS this approach worth doing? thank you.