View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 PM
NEDude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Good luck with everything.

I cannot speak to Emirates specifically, but I have been out of the U.S. for several years now and can speak to being an expat.

You may find that you lose your desire to ever move back to the States. I have reached a point where I cannot see myself ever residing in the States again. I have a classmate, not a pilot, who has lived in the UAE for two decades now and he plans to live the rest of his life there. I have another friend from college who moved to Taiwan almost ten years ago and says he is never going back to the U.S. either. So you may surprise yourself and find a place in the world that fits you well.

This is something I cannot emphasize enough - there are many potential tax and financial pitfalls as an American working overseas. Make sure you become familiar with FATCA and FBAR requirements. Understand the ins and outs of them and do not take them lightly. The U.S. has stepped up enforcement of the penalties for violations in the past few years. Some of the expat tax tricks that you could get away with a few years ago are now being caught. There was some hope that the recent tax reform might lessen or do away with all of those issues, but they were un-touched. Do not skimp when it comes to hiring a tax professional who has expertise in working with expat Americans. Please, for your sake, take that advice seriously.