View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 10:04 AM
November Seven
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Default From Zero to VLJ | How Would You Do It?

Hello APC,

If you had the dream of owning a very light jet and were now able to start the long process of living that dream, how would you go about obtaining the skill, knowledge and expertise required as a pilot?

I'm finally getting ready for either a CJ4, Phenom 300 or waiting for the PC24. Based on my initial research, I've given myself 2-years of dedicated Flight Training and Time Building. I'll do more of more is necessary.

I'm reaching out for opinions and ideas about how to make this happen. You don't have to own a VLJ yourself. Maybe you work for someone and fly the CJ4 or Phenom 300 routinely. You know what's required to operate those aircraft safely in Single-Pilot/RVSM operations.

Actually, I have 4 flight training hours, but that was more than 20 years ago. Thus, I certainly consider this "From Zero." I've remained close to aviation throughout the years - never became estranged from GA, just never got all my ratings either.

I have some ideas for how to go about accomplishing this, but I'm obviously looking for better ideas. Here's what I've come up with - let me know what you would change, or if you would do things entirely different:

1) Go through Private & Instrument ground school videos from two different sources (in my case King and Jeppesen) on a self-study (at home) basis as an initial method of priming the pump. Obtain PAR-ACS/IRA publications and study/self-test to that new standard. This would complete a self-paced Re-Introduction to Flight Training, so to speak. Just something to re-crack the ice for lack of a better way to put it. Getting back in the groove on my own.

2) Actual Flight Training - Private. Either 141 or 61. Oral/Written/Flight to ACS Certificate. Actual Flight Training - Instrument. Either 141 or 61. Oral/Written/Flight to IRA. Actual Flight Training - Commercial & Multi-Engine. Oral/Written/Flight.

3) Multi-Engine Turbo-Prop Time as PIC in IFR. Work for third-party flying scheduled multi-engine turbo-prop. Acquire personal multi-engine turbo-prop and create weekly flight schedule including Day/Night IFR (Mon-Fri) plus one (1) cross-country with overnight stay per week. Scheduled flight plans include regular flights into IMC and High Density Altitude airports (Class B & C) - progressively during congested period.

4) Transition to VLJ.

The section I'm hung-up on right now is #3. I've heard of people going from a personally owned TBM straight to a Phenom 300 never skipping a beat and very happy they did it that way. However, they had been flying many different aircraft for years prior to getting into the TBM. I won't have that depth of aircraft type under my belt and so going from TBM to VLJ, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

So, what I'm thinking is this - buy a Twin immediately after completion of the Instrument Rating, obtain the Multi-Engine Rating in that Twin and then proceed to build-out personal flight schedules according to #3 until 1,500 2,000 hours - then make the transition. If that's right, the question becomes: Which Twin do I buy?

Cessna Conquest II?
Beechcraft Baron G58?
Beechcraft C90?

You can find all three of these aircraft (used) at around the same price point depending on year, condition and equipment. The odd-ball out is the Baron, as it is not Turbo-Prop and its the turbine time that I'd really be going after. I've seen Conquests and C90s in various states of condition and repair. Otherwise, I'd have to work for someone else to acquire the time/experience and I won't get the same level of flexibility in making custom Weekly Flight Plans towards 1,500 to 2,000 hours.

I need some additional ideas here. What did I miss? Do you have a better path to follow? Also, does 141 training fit better than 61 training for something like this?

Thanks!