View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 12:23 PM
FXLAX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default Why I chose FedEX

Originally Posted by Floy View Post
The algorithm, computer scored system to score applicants is really the big problem IMO. I've seen what I would categorize as some of the most qualified pilots in the entire industry, get passed by as a result of not scoring high enough. Perhaps they have too many hours, not a recent enough training event, or took too long to get a degree for having to feed their family through it all.

Many of these ultra qualified folks will never have their app even looked at by a human if I read these posts right. I think thats a shame. I know a few of these folks. Maybe I've got it wrong as to why they cant get a call...

I’m not sure how picking pilots to interview would be done other than by some algorithm considering the thousands of pilots that apply/reapply/update every year. This is the same at every other airline. The other thing that is the same at every other airline is imminently qualified pilots not getting an interview invite. This issue is not just a FDX issue.

My main point was that here at FDX, it’s FDX pilots interviewing and scoring pilot candidates. As far as I know, there are no quotas. So if this “biased” algorithm picks a dozen unqualified pilots to interview, none have to be offered a job. Until that happens, it’s difficult to argue that the algorithm isn’t choosing qualified pilots. What is different at DAL, AAL, UAL, and SWA is that those airlines, HR is directly involved in asking questions during the interview and selection process.

It seems that there are a lot more civilian pilots to choose from compared to military. Maybe that’s why there is a disparity in the comparison. Although, in my class of a couple dozen, about half were military.

By the way, I’m strictly civilian (CFI/135/121), took 6 years to get a BS, didn’t have a recent training event (type rating) in the previous 10 years, had more than 10,000 hours, and had no PE. I literally checked every box you mentioned but was fortunate enough to have received an invite anyway.