View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 01:26 PM
November Seven
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
I’d add, if you review a accident reports of non-professionally flown light jets, the theme is poor risk assessments. The mechanical “flying” parts, take-off, landing, flying approaches in decent weather, can be learned easily enough. Things go south when the pilot is trying to operate at night, or in bad weather, with work or passenger demands begin an unhealthy bending of risk-reward ratio. Airmanship, the ability to say, “this is too much”; to be honest about ability to meet the situation is the hard to teach and harder to learn. There’s also a record of depending on technology to deal with situations where the pilot is in over their head believing this mach8ne can do it for me.

A friend is the pro pilot who has flown with his owner/pilot for a number of years. They went from a light twin, thru a King Air to a super mid-size jet. Even now, my friend has to say, “wtf” every once in awhile to a request. Recently, the owner hired a second pilot.

GF
All interesting and sobering points. Thanks.

Part of the self-paced Time Building Phase would be scheduled IFR with progressive IMC conditions including overnight stays and a specific number of night take-offs and night landings - inclusive of at least one flight having an outbound leg >= 500 into Class Bravo during peak hours. The operative word here is "progressively." Easing into flights that are more complex, involve more night ops and more Class Bravo during peak periods (including HDA airports). Wash/rinse/repeat Monday through Friday. That's where I expect most of my total time to come from.

I will do Time Building on a Schedule, so I can experience what trying to keep a schedule is like before flying single pilot in a VLJ. Everything I do will be purpose built and scheduled with progressive steps in mind. My Training Grounds will be from California, North to Vancouver, East to Colorado and South to Los Cabos. Within that radius, I can schedule flights over just about every kind of terrain possible including over water and into the mountains - good cross-wind landings and departures out of YVR as well.

As the aircraft I fly increases in capability and my skills increase along with it, I'll extend the radius until I reach Telluride Regional, Los Cabos International and Vancouver International, as a matter of routine course. All airports within that triangle will be potential time building destinations. This area will become my new "backyard" so to speak. My stomping grounds.

Essentially, I'd like to simulate what a 135 guy/gal does on a weekly basis, but increment the difficulty predicated solely upon my skill level at the time. I don't know how many hours a 135 pilot flies each week (I'll have to look into that). But, I'd like to equal or exceed the kind of hours they fly each week in my personal scheduled flights. So, basically, time building becomes my new full-time job. My primary focus.

In terms of my IFR flight planning, I'd want to start out as organic as possible using old school tools whenever and wherever possible. I wish to remain as organic in flight planning and the avionics I use as possible. Example - I can see how easy it is to allow the FMC to calculate TOD for you. I want to become proficient at calculating TOD manual and hand flying it without busting a floor or ceiling. I see how the FMS and AP combine to fly the Hold for the pilot. I want to be able to fly the Hold manually and in true IMC.

As single pilot, I would feel as though I had a higher responsibility to be more proficient than the regulations or an insurance company calls for. So, I need to grind on old school fundamentals for a while. The "tech" will always be there and I can learn that soon enough. I'm in no hurry to rush into the "tech." But, I'm much more interested in learning how to fly from VOR/DME to VOR/DME in the clouds without getting confused about my aircraft's position relative to my final destination en route - and without nice Glass helping me.

I once read that an Aviator was different than a Pilot. I guess I want to be an Aviator. The all-around Pilot. The guy who just grinds on Fundamentals. Believe it or not, it was Mr. Bob Hoover, who inspired this in me a long time ago. I met him and his Commander at an airshow back in 89'. I knew then that Proficiency was the key to longevity as a Pilot. However, I would consider Bob, an Aviator. I think that fits him a whole lot better. That's the level I'm shooting for.

I've done study on NTSB accident reports involving Prop Single Pilot and Jet Single Pilot. You are right - I do see a "pattern" there as well. When an 11,000 hour pilot loses control of a Phenom 300 on approach to landing, it sends chills down my spine and makes me wonder what the hell I'd be getting myself into. I think to myself, how could that happen? How could someone with all those flight hours end up in that position. It is sobering. That's why I'm taking my Training and Time Building very seriously. Serious enough to map it out before I do it.

I'm interested in a lot of different opinions.