View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM
November Seven
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Default Selecting An Instructor | Older Wiser?

Hello APC,

Pros and Cons on selecting your first Flight Instructor. Older Wiser? Or, Younger Hungry? Are those fair comparisons?

My flight training is now imminent. I'm putting together my final thoughts on whether I'll do 141 or 61. With 141, I know that I do not get to select my FI. However, with 61, I do. And, that's my focus in this thread.

I'm leaning 61 with a hardcover syllabus type FI. A 61 FI with a structured approach and preferably someone who has read Gregory M. Penglis' book, "The Complete Guide To Flight Instruction," and willing to essentially proceed using that Model of Instruction in preparing me for the oral, written and flight exams required by the FAA. If you have not read Gregory's book in Flight Instruction, its a great page turner.

Also, how many days per week are optimal without becoming over saturated to the point of never being able to fully connect the dots from one week's lesson to the next? It is my understanding that some of this has a lot to do with the approach of the FI. I've read and heard that if the FI does not deliver a 'dot' this week, then there won't be link to the next 'dot' for the student the following week.

Ergo, the student begins to wander in their training, never fully integrating what they should be integrating in order to progress in their training. The Haze Effect, where the student's knowledge is hazy, fuzzy and really not focused, sharp and clear - leading to the need for another Flight Instructor to later come in and force the student to unlearn what they never learned correctly the first time - all because they never got into a routine of connecting Weekly Dots and eventually forming a Chain of properly seated and unbreakable Knowledge.

Does the Younger FI understand this enough to deliver it? Should I be concerned about an Older FI, no longer having the fire and passion for Instructing - just doing it as a hobby to pass time? I've heard that former Airline Pilots who still love to fly and who also like to teach, make some of the best Flight Instructors. True, or False?

We have a current system that nearly forces those who want to become Professional Airline Pilots into first being "Teachers" of Students. Not everyone can teach or instruct. Its a Calling. It requires a Gift. You have to really want to Teach and Instruct, in order to do it well, IMO - regardless of subject matter. Teaching requires amazing (uncommon) communication skills that not everybody has under their belt.

Someone could be a great Pilot, but communicating the who, what, when, why, where and how of flying might not be their strong suit. Or, they might now have the patience and intuition for teaching at a high level. Often times, Women, do better than Men in these categories. Women, can be naturally more intuitive and patient - which will be required when giving critical instruction.

How far do I go in investigating the background of my Flight Instructor? I recently toured a house for sale. The real estate agent's name was all over the town. They looked very credible. The agent was rude during the tour and unprofessional at one point. It caused us to leave the Open House, shaking our heads.

After further investigation, I discovered that the agent's husband was a convicted felon, that the agent herself had been involved in fraudulent real estate deals from Massachusetts to California, and that both of them had filed bankruptcy so many times that one Judge even commented on how well they knew the bankruptcy court system in the US in one of their case commentaries. Essentially, this real estate agent was dirty - filthy and had been fleeing Subpoenas and Summons in several states. Yet, there they were, showing a house valued in the millions like it was no bid deal.

So, how do we investigate whether or not we have the right FI and that their credentials and background are solid?

Thanks.