View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 04:00 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by bamike View Post
Although this is technically true, it's my experience that they more than make up for it in the servitude of the H1B employee. When I worked in a major consulting firm, we had lots of people who were doing OPT (on the job training after completing a US degree for foreigners who study in the US) for about 1 year while hoping for an H1B approval.

The process for students in the US on a F1 (Student Visa) is that they finish the degree, then transition from F1 to OPT status, and then get sponsored by the employer to H1B status. The catch is that if their H1B was not approved, they either had to go back for more higher education, or leave the country (as they promised they would when they applied for a non-immigrant F1 visa to come here and study in the first place!)

Anyways, I found these "employees" were more like indentured servants. They worked routinely past midnight, never complained, and put up with conditions that a US job seeker would not put up with at that low pay level. They were mostly Asians, primarily Chinese, Korean, and Indian. I remember one day I came into the office and found one of them had worked all night doing tax returns and slept in the maternity room. The employer is their God and they will do anything for him.

I am surprised ALPA is not taking a harder line against H1B visas for pilots. Maybe because their numbers are very small for now.
Yes the H1B CFI's back in the day were indentured servants for sure. But CBA's and work rules prevent individuals from being singled out, so once the realize that, they don't HAVE to be any more subservient than any other airline pilot.