View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 06:54 PM
November Seven
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Private Pilot is not rocket science nor is it brain surgery.
I think you missed the other thread. They are both connected in actuality. A mere pilots license is the least of my concerns:

Private
Instrument
Commercial
Multi-Engine
3-4 thousand hours of time building in preparation for a VLJ
VLJ Type Rating (owner/operator/pilot)
A two (2) year Training and Time Building Program

I have to build that program because none exists for that purpose. So, in constructing it, I don't have a choice but to over think things at this phase. Once I have full plan and execute on it, then I'm on track and can just go with the flow at that point.

Unless I can walk into a bookstore and read about such a program from someone having already done it, then I've got to piece it together bit by bit until I have a coherent whole. That's why I'm asking these questions.

Part 141 requires stage checks with a designated instructor, usually the Chief.
Love the stage check idea. Sounds like a good way to level up.

For one it puts you in a testing environment and get you used to performing while you’re being graded and even more importantly it’s a check on how well your instructor has taught you.
Sounds good. How honest are those Stage Checks? What I mean is that if the Part 141 has incentive to move students through, how much of the training is focused on retention of knowledge having just been transferred for the purpose of passing a Stage Check? In other words, I remember people who used to cram for Physics. They'd pass the test - but I would not trust them to gear near a particle accelerator in actual implementation. Short term Learning and long term Retention can sometimes turn out to be two different things.

I recommend against self employed instructors who’ve developed their “own system” or who’ve retired from the airlines. Very little of that transfers into teaching little airplanes.
Very interesting point. How much of their background would transfer to Very Light Jets and what I'd need to be able to do in order to be proficient at that level? How much of what I learned at the Private, Instrument, Commercial and Multi-Engine level would transfer to into a VLJ? I constantly hear jet pilots talk about staying ahead of the aircraft. Would a non-former jet pilot flight instructor know more about staying ahead of the aircraft than a former jet pilot flight instructor and who would do a better job of helping remain ahead of the aircraft at all times?

I'm trying to mitigate risk in my training because what I learn in training, I will take with me into time building. I'm trying to flush out as much error up front as possible.

I’ve been a Chief FI, asst Chief and Check Pilot 141 and now fly for an Airline. Private pilot training should be fun and enjoyable and exciting and rewarding and preferably with somebody you get along with.
Much appreciated. You seem to have a lot of experience. So, I respect your opinion. Honestly, I can't think of anything more fun than flying. The whole reason behind a VLJ for me is to compress time and extend my reach around the world in which I need to travel. Netjets, Flight Options, etc., they all do the same thing. But, I don't get to enjoy flying the aircraft with them. I would with my own. In addition, we (my family) want to engage in a lot more travel than what TSA will allow us to remain sane doing. I just can't tolerate TSA anymore.

I get flight delays - that is going to happen no matter who you fly with. Sitting around and waiting to hear back from Departure Control or whomever for that clearance is going to happen. Burning fuel on the ground, or flat out asking for a return to the ramp to shut down until clearance is ready could happen, too. Ridiculous fees just for breathing airport air (landing, ramp, etc., etc.). Inflated Jet-A prices (Hello Signature Aviation. Hello Atlantic Aviation.) I'm ready for all that and more because it will be worth the added freedom.

All that stuff I'm prepared to deal with. What I want to try to reduce is Training Risk, because that will definitely spill over into Time Building and that's not where I want to compound risk because I made some really poor Instructor choices not thinking things through.

Thanks for the help.