View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 08:48 PM
DiamondZ
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2005

Originally Posted by Otters View Post
You are spot on. I’m a UAL pilot. Was having this conversation with our system chief pilot several months ago.I’m former military so here’s my small story on this.

System chief pilot tells prospective military people to get through training and consolidate after 100 hours then go ahead and do military work. After saying this the Chief pilot had a pilot come in and after one week of indoc, drop military orders to take a long break. I’m here to tell you, it’s an honor to have each and every member serve our country.

But I’ll call a spade a spade. When you game the system and take several years off then return, I can’t blame any hiring department looking out for their own best interests. The idea of getting an offer means you have availability for employment. That’s not unreasonable to expect. Now does any airline guarantee a long prosperous career? Nope!!!!! One dog one bone. But the company is going to turn around and take that bone and look out for their own interests.

Best of luck
I would agree a few bad apples make all the Reserve/Guard guys look bad. Its illegal to discriminate.

Being at UAL, I assume you know the company was threatened with a lawsuit concerning the exact hiring practice being discussed, not interviewing/hiring mil pilots with 10-14 yrs AD.

The real irony for FedEx folks was back in our 4.A.2.B. days, the company asked guys to go on MLOA to help with staffing 'issues' associated with Age 65 and retirement of the 727.