View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 PM
ftaba1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Thanks, that makes more sense now. The old am/pm switching trick! 12-13 days off is not bad though.

Originally Posted by Fixnem2Flyinem View Post
The downside to reserve is not knowing where your overnights will be. During certain times of the year that can make it challenging to pack for a five day block of reserve. You could be scheduled for SoCal overnights then be changed to an Edmonton or Calgary overnight. In the winter those locations require a different set of comfortable attire if you are trying to walk to the store or get some food.

You will also get reassigned and spread the entire range of the clock without knowing. Example: Last week I started reserve and had a 3pm show with a 1235am block in. Two days later I was on min rest after a 1030pm block in. Had 9am show the next day with a 3pm block in. The next morning I had a 455am show time. It can be hard to constantly shift your sleep schedule on a day or two notice. Some lines are built with “circadian swaps” as well, but at least you know about them in advance. Other than that it is similar to holding a line. Expect to have around 12-13 days off a month, mostly in blocks of 2-4.

An airport conversion consists of sitting ready at the airport in case scheduling needs coverage for a flight inside that of two hours. Airport reserve also can mean a lot of deadheading to cover one leg in the system or ferry/repo flights. You can bid for airport reserve or be converted airport from short call reserve.