View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 02:37 PM
jacburn
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by MaxQ View Post
Cozy driver welcome. (from a line pilot, not management)

Some concepts on getting flights canceled and put on reserve. At a busy hub like Ewr United cancels flights (referred to as drawdowns) lessening the traffic for ATC so as to not have massive delays for their mainline flights. Its SOP. Obviously those flights have crews assigned to them, who are then either reassigned or put on reserve until the scheduled end of their duty day.
Some people are upset with this, some are more philosophical since it was scheduled anyway. How you choose to react will be up to you, which obviously affects your own enjoyment of the job.

As to claims that others don't do it (place you on reserve), well bully for them. At my more recent airlines they all did it. Perhaps it is a more common item in recent contracts, but in my airline experience a canceled flight= ready reserve unless scheduling waives it. Such is life.
You may not have 121 experience, but you have life experience. Use that and you will be fine. C5 is a small company. Fellow pilots, schedulers and dispatchers learn who the Richards are. it's not rocket science how to make life smoother.
Enjoy the ride and look forward to flying with you.
Somehow I almost always came out making more money for the draw down days and I sat in the airport watching tv shows and talking to my fellow crew members who were in the same boat.

Life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Put the lemons on chips and it makes them soggy. I have never had a 121 just send me home when a flight cancelled.