View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 12:46 PM
67Creek
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

If I were you, I wouldn't fly a single-engine airplane beyond your instrument phase. Get into a fast and slick piston twin that has modern avionics. I'd look at something like a late-model Baron.

When you can wear that airplane, are always ahead of it, have no issues flying it into a high-workload environment, and generally are bored with it's performance, then go buy your jet. Spend all that money you were going to waste on time-building and buying/selling a turboprop to pay a mentor pilot to fly with you.

Start out sitting in the right seat, acting as a copilot, so you can get a baseline on PIC techniques and decision making. When you feel like you're getting a good handle on the jet, GO TO A SIMULATOR COURSE. Have them beat you up.

Once you've got some right seat time in the jet, and have been thoroughly molested in the left seat in the sim, then swap places with your mentor pilot. Fly that way until you feel he's redundant and then head off on your own.

My point is this:

A 2000 hour pilot with 500 piston single, then 500 piston twin, then 500 turboprop, then 500 jet is plenty qualified to fly a VLJ, sure.

However, a 2000 hour pilot with 100 piston single, 400 piston twin, and the remaining 1500 in the exact jet in question, is much more suited to fly that particular VLJ.