View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM
November Seven
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Some humility might be in order—review the hull losses for the typical owner-flown jets. Something like 6% of Beech Premiers written off in fatal accidents. It’s not pretty, then add in the PC-12, TBM, Cirrus rates and lots more ugly outcomes.

Not to be pessimistic, but the record encourages comments like that one.

GF
He offered insults in response to a serious minded OP. Second, he underestimated the amount of personal research I've already put into this. Third, he has no appreciation for that fact that I clearly see the need be prepared as opposed to thinking the entire process to be a walk in the park. He then issues the final straw by insinuating that I'd rather be flown around like a helpless invalid. I'm pretty sure I resent that.

What was his background before becoming a pilot? How did he arrive at his flying career? What was his level of desire and passion and how many gut checks has he endured over his life before he was able to finally live out his dreams of owning his bird? How many sacrifices has he made to put himself in that position? How much work did he put in to put himself in that position?

If I wanted to really go after his comments, I could - but I won't. I've got other important fish to fry, like getting on to the next phase of this 20+ year project. Maybe he's got an easy $10 million to toss around lukewarmly on a jet. I had to work my rear-end off to get here. So, no - I don't appreciate his cavalier attitude and his implications that somehow, somebody who can buy a jet is automatically (de facto) dumb enough to go out and kills themselves in it by default - because they did not prepare themselves correctly.
----------------------------

Back on track:

To answer your question direct, yes. I've done a fair amount of crash history study on personally flown jets and single pilot flying in general. The rate of incidents according to my research reflect more on Single Pilot operations, regardless of aircraft Type. So, there have been Single Pilot problems with Beechcraft King Airs, as just one example. Single Pilot problems with the Mitsubishi MU-2 have been at issue. Single Pilot problems in the CJ1, were at one point an issue. But, Single Pilot problems in a Bonanza, have a history to recon with, too. The Cessna 310 Single Pilot has had issues.

I've done a fair amount of individual study because I wanted to know what was causing these aircraft to go down. Most of the issues that I found had a lot to do with Pilot error in the form of either something that could have been dealt with in Pre-Flight or earlier in Flight Planning. The other broader category had to do with In-Flight problems ranging from Various kinds of system malfunctions, engine malfunctions, avionics malfunctions to outright structural failures.

Sometimes these incidents have to do with knowingly flying into and/or around embedded convective cells, suffering vertigo or spatial disorientation, getting nose down and fast then trying to pull up too abruptly causing structural damage to the wings, flight control surfaces and sometimes even the empennage section. Another grouping of issues seems to flock around fuel starvation problems where the fuel selector is set to either one tank or the other and not both. One tank runs dry seemingly too early in the flight, then the pilot never checks the selector valve causing an erroneous "fuel starvation" problem when there was plenty of fuel remaining in the other tank.

Another flock of issues seems to come around the matter of High Density Altitude Departures combined with pilots who load their aircraft too heavy. for the conditions. They then experience either a much longer take=off roll, or significantly reduced climb performance at an airport with terrain mapping higher than airport elevation. They begin turning to avoid terrain which increases load factor and under this combination of conditions actually begin dropping altitude in the turn - making matters even worse. A damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

I looked at these things and have express plans to make them front and center conversation items with my Flight Instructor, so that I can get confirmation on my understanding of both Problem and what the Potential Solution was before the accident took place.

I'm not wandering off into the wilderness clueless. I am trying to properly educate, prepare and protect myself and my future passengers from things that are clearly under my control and to increase our odds of survival when things take place that are clearly out of my control. I understand that both problem types exist. Causes that were mine and causes that were outside of my knowledge and/or control at the time, but that might still have good solutions that allows everybody to go home to their family that day.

I'm trying my best here.