View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Btoflyer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Default Some thoughts on the jet and locations

Originally Posted by mcm114 View Post
Hello all. I just got hired for the jet and had some questions about being based in SEA. I'm a military rotor transition guy, so I won't start ATP/CTP until July most likely.

I'm vaguely familiar with that area, having been stationed in Alaska off and on for 7 years and always travelling through. I know about some of the places to avoid, but I don't think I know enough about the area to pick a good place to live.

I thought I should stay within about 1.5 hours driving distance, if possible. Pretty expensive real estate you got there however.

Anyone out there using the Bremerton/Southworth ferries to reliably commute from there? I like the Gig harbor/Port Orchard area, but I might be underestimating that commute time.

Is there something else that I should be considering? Very open to suggestions at this point.

Thanks
Mike
Hey Mike,

I've been on the jet for a few months now and I really don't think the reserve will be that long. Although you never know, at the moment we are hiring fast but also adding new jets. Paine Field will be served by the jet, according to the Chief Pilot, but in the short term my guess is that it will be a through flight from PDX. In short, I wouldn't buy a house based on an Everett domicile anytime soon.

As far as SEA based living, you really need to check out Gig Harbor. Yes, prices have gone up (they have everywhere else, too), but there's a reason they call it the Airline Ghetto - there are about 700 Air Group employees living here. The numbers speak volumes.

Hope you make a smooth transition to Horizon from the military. It's a good company and getting better. And the E175 is a great aircraft.

Brian