View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 04:28 PM
ArmyFW
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017

It’s not that far off to get a fixed wing slot in the army now. The last couple of selections at rucker had more fixed wing slots than everything but Blackhawks. The very last one I heard about had more fixed wing than anything. This may just be a push for now but it is a very large one. I like my job so far, and love being a WO instead of an RLO. That may fade soon but it’s better than the infantry where I came from. We don’t sleep in tents, go TDY and sleep in decent hotels, get rental cars and whatnot. We have the opportunity to fly UC-35’s (Cessna Citations) and Gulfstreams as well. I don’t think it’s a bad way to get your ratings, serve your country, meet good people, and get a decent paycheck while really learning the instrument flying because that’s our bread and butter because the tactical side isn’t very strenuous on the flying side. We also don’t typically deploy for 9-12 months either, the norm is 2-6 months right now but changes based on what the army needs. Some of us have been out of flight school for maybe 5 months and already have 150 hours. Army fixed wing is not the retirement home it used to be. The army saw the problem with this and is actually changing it. There are a lot of WO1’s and 2LT’s coming through which helps the motivation and unit pride. Hope this helps to let other services know what’s going on over here in army fixed wing now.