Thread: Cape Air
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 05:45 AM
Nopasta
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by SWLogic View Post
I have one concern about Cape Air - the promisorry note.

I am fully aware the pay at Cape isn’t that great; no regional pays well. However I am concerned with the organization requiring you to sign a promisorry note holding you liable for the $35,000 training costs. The terms of the contract state that that you are liable to repay that should you quit or have your employment terminated with cause prior to completing one year as a captain with Cape Air. Those are pretty high stakes considering the organization has, I think, a 50% wash out rates for new first officers. Fail checkrides or in some other manner disappoint the firm you’re now liable for a lot of money. I also worry about the company delaying your upgrade to captain for asinine reasons so they can keep you tethered there. Do we have any Cape employees who can comment on this?
In training now for a FO position. They want you to pass. They said the guys that washout (not 50% and not very often) are the people who come here and treat it as a vacation. Come here work hard, study,learn the flows, and keep an open mind you will do fine. If you struggle with something they will try their hardest to get you through it.

Pay isn’t the greatest as a FO but I’ve already seen OT just in ground school. Also they are in the process of a new contract for pay.

As for the contract, I figure it will take about a yr to get from 500 to the 1500. Now don’t forget that you upgrade to PIC at 1200. Then a yr from 1500 I will have around 2500hrs and a Atp. From there you could go direct entry captain flying a jet for a regional with a hefty bonus. Oh and the guys that are upgrading get through quick as they have priority trading over us pilots in training. A buddy of mine was here just over a week upgrading to captain.

I will admit I had my hesitations, but now I can say I wish I could have gotten here sooner. Cape is a great company and they treat their employees like gold. Yes you will work your butt off, but you will get great experience here that will further you in any flying career (especially airline) you choose to go to after.