View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
Again, I will point out that while the crew new about the blown tire prior to landing, I have yet to see that they knew of the failure prior to gear retraction. (If anyone has evidence to the contrary, please present it, and I will gladly retract all my comments).
Other than the statements in the original article linked at the outset of this thread?

"When we were taking off out of Newark, the plane kind of shuddered as the nose lifted. After that, everything was fine. About 90 minutes before we landed, the crew came out, made sure everyone was awake. Told us we were going to have a problem with the landing gear and to prepare for the worst," Kyle Hobbs says.
Did they guess? Did the passengers know something the crew did not? Did someone with a really big set of binoculars figure it out enroute and tell them? They didn't know at the time, but put two and two together enroute?

The central theme here does not regard damage about which one does not know. The question is asked whether one brings up the gear and continues, with a known problem.

And even if they had known about the failure which probably occurred at or at least near V1, most of us are so triggered to positive rate, gear up, rig the aircraft to survive the engine failure, that a blown tire around V1 is outside of our normal survival priorities.
Are you actually going to suggest that as crew members we fly without thought or reason, and simply do things based on reaction? When we specifically train NOT to do that, when millions are spent focusing on the decision on the runway, a crew simply mindlessly acts and can't be expected to do otherwise, because the usual thing is to raise the gear? God help the passengers flying behind such a crew. Clearly, because the crew won't, or can't.

Are we really so stupid that we simply proceed because something is routine? Good clarion call for unmanned cockpits, then, isn't it?

But while every six months I rehearsed a V1 cut, I NEVER was given an 80 knots tire blows scenario. How often during a before take off brief do you include a part about tire failure at/near V1?
You've never been given a failed tire on takeoff on a V1 cut or in the high speed regime? I don't believe I've ever been to a training program or course of training, be it recurrent or initial, that didn't include a tire failure. I had one in a simulator just a few days ago.

How often do I brief events prior to V1? Before every takeoff. While one may continue with a failed tire, and in most cases is best advised to do so, retracting the gear on a failed tire is another matter.