View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 AM
thefalken
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: B-767 FO
Default LZU FO Night

FOs would be assigned to one of two runs five days a week:

LBQ850 departs LZU at around 1830 and returns about 0030.

LBQ860 departs LZU 2000 and returns about 0330.

A typical day on the 850 would be arrive around ~1700. Call dispatch to let them know you are there. Check weather / NOTAMS. Check your run sheet which will be waiting on the printer for you to know how many empty specimen bags need to be loaded. If you are on this early run, I believe you'll be in charge of loading each aircraft with the correct number of empty bags. Not a hard task, just roll the mail cart full of bags around to each plane and throw the empties in.

You will depart LZU to ABY. Unload any empties and load the specimens being delivered, being sure to check for correct destination and keeping count. This is a quick turn, then onto DHN. DHN to ECP. There is a short wait for a courier in ECP, then onto PNS. PNS to BFM. BFM back to LZU.

When you return to LZU, a few other routes will also be returning (midnight is a very busy time on the ramp). You'll unload your local specimens to the waiting driver. Using the mail carts, you'll take the remaining bags to the waiting PC12 (out of RDG). Once you help load the outbound PC12, you are done for the night. Call dispatch, check out and check in for your route the next day.

A couple of things to keep in mind, you're being paid for your duty time, not flight time. You know your schedule weeks out. You do your job and go home. No sitting around the airport or staring at hotel walls. Weekends off. Plenty of vacation time. With the known schedule, I think you could easily take on a student or two if you wanted to CFI as well.

I remember a decade ago when young pilots were riding in the Barons and helping sling bags, without pay or benefits, just to network. It may not be the perfect situation, but I think it is a step in the right direction.