View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
Please, enlighten us all to what you consider "military material".
Fitness culture. Willing to shave off the manbun, stache, beard, or other grooming affection which is central to your identity. Little to no history of drug use. ASVAB scores (just because everyone automatically gets an "A" in HS, doesn't mean the ASVAB got any easier). Willingness to automatically comply with authority in dynamic situations. Not too concerned about their own comfort and well being in the short-term.

Now that said, most of the millennials who actually enter the military are better prepared than my generation. They have access to a lot more information and they make good use of it. The only thing I had going for me was enthusiasm and natural athleticism... my generation (or at least me) had to flail around and figure it out the hard way. No complaints from me about the young people currently serving. But it's gotten hard for the services to find people like that, and they can't get enough of them... even though the military is far smaller than when I joined during the cold war.