View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 10:15 PM
NYC Pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2016
Position: A350 CA

Originally Posted by RemoveB4flght View Post
I'm just shy of a decade flying in the Middle East so perhaps my opinion may hold some water.

In the current hiring climate, this is not a regional alternative so much as a divergent career path. Even if your idea is to make some money and bounce, you need to be prepared to make at least a 5 year commitment. As an American, you also have to adapt to living in a foreign country with a social and economic structure that is impossible to explain in a few paragraphs.

If you happen to catch the wrong end of a hiring wave and concurrently decide you have had enough of the sand pit but want another expat flying job, you'll discover another immutable concrete truth: finding a decent first officer job sucks. I routinely fly with highly experienced FO's who just can't seem to find a company where they can break into the left seat. Not that they have failed mind you, just haven't had the opportunity. In lieu of a hard seniority based upgrade system, it is exceedingly difficult to get to the left seat of a large jet at a (semi) reputable carrier. Several companies hire expat FO's but do not offer upgrades. If you want to do this at EK, you are looking at a 10 year commitment.

The flip side is, once you hit the left seat and have a few years experience the possibilities that open up are numerous. I remember when I was furloughed and would scroll through these pilot recruitment websites advertising the huge salaries for experienced captains on medium and heavy jets in far off exotic places. Who are these type rated pilots with all this experience and no particular attachment to an airline? Well now they are all looking for me.

I can't speak too badly of my time here, at times it has been both challenging and rewarding. I'm not here to convince anyone to come here or stay away, but rather go into it with eyes open. My departure is less about contempt and frustration as it is about a lifestyle change as I start seeing more grey hairs.
Thank you for the input. I myself, was a QR pilot and think the place was decent enough to make it a career destination. I think for people who want to see the world and live an exciting expat life, places like Qatar aren't so bad. Ofcourse, I have heard the nightmares at EK so it's not all roses either. It all depends on ones goals. Some like PBJ sandwiches and others chicken or steak fajitas..Who do you work for if you don't mind my asking?