View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 AM
Macjet
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Airplanes

Originally Posted by Lotsof Blue View Post
Initially, I may have underestimated the pay loss over three years. At my current job, projected to make 180k/yr for the next 3 years, plus bennies.

Starting at NK, I projected (being optimistic) 60k, 110k, and 120k Years 1-3 as an FO under the new contract. There are a host of variables like, upgrade time, picking up premium trips, trip rigs, and per deim, etc.

Then factoring in paying for COBRA 1st 90 days, no contribution to 401k for 60 days, projected 401k contributions, paying for a crash pad, and insurance premiums; it got pretty expensive, I'm estimating now 200k+.

If I was younger, I could probably recoup the losses and reach a break even point.

The dang hiring wave should have started sooner
This airline is not stoping at 161 airframes. Cheap tickets will always be in demand. Other airlines FA and pilots purchase tickets on us because our cheap fares are easier and more guaranteed than non-reving. Consumers want cheap fares and that will be exasperated once the economy turns down again or fuel prices go back up.

I would highly recommend that you start the application process and work yourself towards an interview. It's still highly competitive and I have a few QS buddies who weren't offered a position. Work towards getting the interview and the job offer. In the interim I would expect to see an airframe order. If that doesn't happen then delay your start date as long as you can until you either see an order or a certain you're better off as QS. Either way, get in the running and be able to make a decision with an offer in hand versus speculation here on APC. This airline is still in its infancy and a new hire today will be in the top third of the seniority list in just a few years.

And while you're applying here apply with the others as well. Maybe we're a good fit, maybe others are, and perhaps QS is your best route. Whichever path, good luck.