View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 11:50 AM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by poopplop View Post
Thanks to both management and mainline pilots. If there was a vote that passed at all, then both are to blame. Be an adult and take responsibility. I chose to join the industry at a time that I knew pilots were in demand and the pay was increasing. And because I love what I do. Just because mainline created the regionals and the road to a major job is tougher then it used to be, doesn't mean I should never have joined the industry. The industry just is what it is, now, thanks to mainline management and its pilots' agreements of the past.

It's just interesting to see the animosity towards regional guys for "celebrating" when they are finally thrown a bone by management, since it was management and mainline pilots together that created the regionals in the first place. No one is out to take away mainline benefits and screw your retirees (even if they screwed everyone else). No regional pilot group has the ability to do so. Any unpleasantness regarding flight benefits should be directed towards management.
The road to the mainline is easier today not harder as you state. The days of needing 2500 hours total time and 250 hours multi before a regional would look at you are long gone! Consider yourself lucky.
There was a time where the majors hired such a high percentage of military that a civilian pilot had to practically have a PHD and 10,000 hours of heavy time to be considered.