View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 08:35 AM
NEDude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by B757 View Post
..Marriage to an EU-citizen will give you the same work rights as having the passport..At least this was the case in my family, correct me if I am wrong..

Fly safe,
B757
It gives you the same right to live and work anywhere your EU citizen spouse resides, but it does not give you "unlimited" rights to live and work. For example if you and your spouse live in Ireland, you do not have the right to live and work in Germany unless your spouse lives there with you. If your residence permit is not a permanent one, and you get divorced, you will lose your residence rights. If it is permanent, and get divorced, you cannot transfer your permanent residence rights from one country to another. Many of the European countries will cancel your "permanent" residency if you establish yourself in another European country for an extended period of time. Denmark, for one, will do that. If you have permanent residency in Denmark, but move to Belgium (for example), after two years in Belgium Denmark will void your "permanent" residency.

Every company can define what they will accept, and there may be some companies that accept a residence permit. But generally speaking, if a company requires you to have "unlimited" right to live and work in the EU/EEA/CH, they mean a right that is not limited by time, by marriage, or to a specific country.

If you need to know specifics regarding your own situation, you can look at this website which is run by the European Commission. They can give you a proper and official answer:

http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/f...d/index_en.htm