View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 07:29 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Your sim time in the military was not flight training, see 61.1 definitions:

Flight training means that training, other than ground training, received from an authorized instructor in flight in an aircraft.
So this would not be creditable under 61.41, which only allows crediting of flight training.

And the previous posts are correct, an Flight Training Device or Full Flight Simulator must be qualified by the National Simulator Program, or more simplistically, the Administrator, for the tasks that it may be used for. Then training conducted in it may be credited as applicable for the various certificates and ratings in Part 61.

Also, make sure to look closely at the aeronautical experience requirements, here is some of the ATP:

(3) 50 hours of flight time in the class of airplane for the rating sought. A maximum of 25 hours of training in a full flight simulator representing the class of airplane for the rating sought may be credited toward the flight time requirement of this paragraph if the training was accomplished as part of an approved training course in parts 121, 135, 141, or 142 of this chapter. A flight training device or aviation training device may not be used to satisfy this requirement.

(4) 75 hours of instrument flight time, in actual or simulated instrument conditions, subject to the following:

(i) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(4)(ii) of this section, an applicant may not receive credit for more than a total of 25 hours of simulated instrument time in a flight simulator or flight training device.

(ii) A maximum of 50 hours of training in a flight simulator or flight training device may be credited toward the instrument flight time requirements of paragraph (a)(4) of this section if the training was accomplished in a course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

(iii) Training in a flight simulator or flight training device must be accomplished in a flight simulator or flight training device, representing an airplane.
Not going to go into those in detail, just to make note that some of those credit hours require the training to be conducted within an approved training program or under Part 142.

I think one of the general ideas in part 61 is that full flight simulator/flight training device/aviation training device time is not flight time, it's ground training time as defined in Part 61. When you can "credit" it for aeronautical experience requirements, you are substituting something that is not flight time, for flight time.

Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but I'm fairly certain this would be the interpretation that would be provided by legal counsel.