View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 09:23 AM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher
Default AF Internship

Originally Posted by rickair7777
This info is what I recall from a few years ago, might be different now...

You need a PPL to start. The internship phase pays $1000+ month flat salary and you work as the assistant operations / assistant sales manager. You probably work 6 days/week 12 hours/day. During this time you get all your ratings including CFI/CFII at no charge. Once you finish CFII, you become a regular instructor and get paid like other instructors.

You may be able to get sales bonuses, and continue to work operations while instructing to supplement your income.

I think it takes 1-2 years to get all the ratings, but it is a pretty good deal on the flight training. As I said before, the local manager is crucial to your success (SMO branch has a good guy), and I think they run about 50% washout rate for interns, due to the long hours. Be prepared to deal with customers and sales.

Also, AF only does ME in their Florida branch, so you will need a plan to get that ME time...maybe get an MEI and work on the side.
You could conceivably do this and get to the regional level with no debt.

ryane946:

Again, rickair7777 is correct. However, may I add that in addition to the $1000/mo in salary, you would receive an additional $500/mo. for shelter/living expenses making for a total of $1500/mo.

Also, the Florida location, Pompano Beach Airport, is the only location that I know of as well that would allow you to attain the MEL rating. The person your trainee needs to contact is Dave Houser in the Chicago office. I think his number is 800-327-0808.

Blue skies.