View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Blackhawk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by DrunkenShytbird View Post
Yeah and even if the Paycheck/Tail Logo is the same, you still aren't out of the woods. Look at Eastern, Pan Am, TWA & Braniff, et. al..
I was on a United JS Recently with two distinguished old Gentleman & they had a pretty funny conversation (black humor) about how many times that they had been furloughed in their Careers at various Airlines AND at United.
This ain't a Career for Sissies. You're gonna get hit hard a few times with something or other, be it Airline Bankruptcy, up to and including full Dissolution of your Airline, Medical Issues, Divorce, or simply having to choose between a (non) Life of either Commuting, or uprooting the Family every few years as Domiciles come and go. I would argue that this is not a good Family oriented Career as well, hence the high divorce and Family break up rate.
Probably best for People, Gay or Straight, that decide to not have a Family, or pets and maybe their Partner/Significant Other is also at the Airline and they can bid together. Those People might have a good go of it, or maybe you just get lucky and it's all Sunshine & Unicorns.
Much depends on luck, but much also depends on who you are. My marriage is still strong after 25+ years, and I know as many pilots who are still married as I do who are divorced. While many of the latter blame it on the airlines, they really need to look in the mirror, or at their former spouse for the root of the problem.