View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 09:19 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
I am reading. The original post-
“Can I Flight Instruct a 5000 hour pilot?
I met this guy who owns a cirrus and takes me up quite frequently can I log this a dual given as long as I teach him something in flight? He has thousands of hours and just likes someone to go up with him.”
Again, if instruction takes place instruction can be logged.
You're reading. Just not comprehending.

Instruction isn't taking place. The owner "just likes someone to go up with him."

The original poster is seeking to find a way to call it instruction and log it.

Again, that instruction given can be logged has never been in question. This is obvious and not debatable. This was never asked, and is irrelevant.

More on point is the question whether the instructor can ride around with the owner and find a way to call it instruction in order to justify logging it, as this is a logging question. Not a question over whether flight training given can be logged. Not at all. It's a question regarding whether riding around with an owner can be twisted just enough to justify padding one's logbook.

Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
Perfectly legal. It’s a part 91 operation. The owner of an airplane can pretty much pay any properly certified pilot to fly him around as long as he maintains operational control of the aircraft.
There are some exceptions. For example, in this case th owner wants the pilot to fly him and six friends from ABC to XYZ. Well, this airplane in question only has 3 open seats. The first flight up is legal. If the pilot returns to ABC and picks up the other 3 pax that could be interpreted as an illegal charter without a 135 certificate.
This is not correct. It's also irrelevant to the thread.

The question of compensation does not reside in the second flight, but in whether the three passengers on the second legal provided compensation in any form for the transportation. The owner does not need to be aboard.

In fact, if the owner is aboard and property or persons are carried for compensation or hire from one point to another, then the owners presence doesn't change the nature of the flight; it's still illegal without an operating certificate.