View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Blackhawk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
The issue of pro-rata is applicable to private pilots, and very irrelevant to this discussion. If that's the tack you'd prefer, one may as well go even farther afield and tackle the issue of holding out, which would be along the same line, but equally as irrelevant.

The original poster did not provide enough information, save that the owner allows him along for the ride, just likes someone to "go along," and "takes him up" frequently. There is no indication that the flights are instructional. The only indication of instruction that might take place is theoretical and offered as a wave, a justification to find a way to legally log the time. Thus far, such justification has not been provided.
The post I responded to reference pro rata share was stating that the OP could not operate the owners airplane as a commercial pilot for the owner as the flight time would considered compensation. This poster was confusing the idea of flight time as compensation for private pilots when figuring pro rata share or for commercial pilots doing common carriage and the idea of a commercial pilot being compensated for private carriage, which is perfectly legal.
Second, you need to learn how to read. Once again, the original post-

"I met this guy who owns a cirrus and takes me up quite frequently can I log this a dual given as long as I teach him something in flight? He has thousands of hours and just likes someone to go up with him. "
My emphasis. One more time. If instruction is given on a flight, instruction can be logged. I have a friend who owns a VariEze. Occasionally I go flying with him. Sometimes when I fly with him he asks for instruction, such as a flight review or instrument work. When I give him instruction and log it as such in his logbook I log it as instruction given in my logbook. Shhh... don't tell the FAA.