Thread: CFI vs Cargo
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 10:07 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by arthur106 View Post
I'm currently a CFI and getting roughly 80 hours per month, hopefully more when this darned weather gets better. I recently came up on an oportunity to fly for a small cargo operation where I'll get 500 hours per year flying twin turbo props. Captain upgrade time is 12-18 months and the pay is decent. I'm inclined to take the cargo job because it puts me closer to home, but I'm wondering how it might affect my career. My end goal is to get to majors.
Option 1 would be to stay at said company untill I get my 1500 hours, then go to regionals. If I do this, I'll be slowing myself down.
Option 2 is to stick around, get my captain upgrade and fly 500 hours per year until I get to majors, skipping regionals entirely.
Thoughts? How much twin turbo left seat time would I need to be competitive for majors? If it helps, I've got a degree in mechanical engineering (I've heard degrees are helpful).
I had to read your post several times to make sense. You appear to be suggesting either instructing until 1,500 hours then seeking a regional, or moving to the cargo company.

Jumping from the cargo company to the majors may or may not be realistic for you, but if you're considering the difference between instructing or moving to a PIC turbine twin job working from home, is it really a difficult choice?

At this stage in your career, your degree is superfluous, but it will become a checked box if you apply to a major.