View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Flykilbosa
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by NoMoney View Post
Former ASI-AC (been several years) who was IMHO too young for the cubical fed life forever. Considering a possible return to fed life now that I'm grown up.... But wondering if anyone knows about how things work in regards to pay grade for former ASIs. I was one of those who got hired straight into HQ and got suckered there as GS14/J. Lets say a FSDO was interested on bringing me onboard, would it be as an -11 initially and hope for the best??
"Got suckered there as GS14/J." I think the only thing your previous experience with the FAA will get you is a "preference point" or "points" as compared to someone else who meets the minimum requirements that does not have previous employment with the FAA. There is a box on all apps that asks whether or not you've been a former permanent employee of the FAA and have completed the 1 year probationary period. The preference point(s) will help you get an interview if there are a lot of applicants; points won't guarantee you a position. There is some sort of additional consideration if the time "away" from the FAA is not too long, I read about that once but can't remember the details.

If you're getting hired at a FSDO, you will probably be brought in at a GS11 or GS12 depending on the office...working in a FSDO is quite different than working for HQ

I'd recommend filtering your USA Jobs search to jobs open to federal employees (not just the "open to the public" positions). In addition to the "points" for your previous FAA employment, I believe you can apply to the positions open to federal employees (don't hold me to that). If you can, then you may be able to find something at the GS13 or GS14 level right away.

If you come back, you will get whatever sick leave balance you had when you left back. You will also be given credit for time in service towards your annual leave accrual (i.e. after 3 years you get 6 hours per pay period, after 15 years you get 8 hours per pay period).