Thread: inflight fire
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 06:23 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by decrabbitz View Post
True, the fire will probably will burn better at 1000agl, but I believe its going to burn regardless. If there are findings out there that cargo fires extinguished on their own by oxygen starvation, I'd feel a bit better, I just haven't heard of this happening.

With no Li onboard, wouldn't you be better staying at cruise altitude (FL330?), or climbing as high as possible, to starve the fire? If FL250 is good, then FL370 is great. Obviously we are talking no pax here, and you are going to have to see a doc for the physiological impact, but if you are putting ALL your faith in oxygen-starving a fire, you might as well go all in and climb.

As an aside, how do you know you don't have any Li onboard? Crew bus driver says there's a lot of "undeclared" DG.
FL250 is about the highest cabin pressure where you can stay fully functional using a standard O2 mask. Much higher and you might get bent and would have too low of a partial pressure to not be impaired.

Any normal fire is probably going to go out at that altitude. Only something with its own oxidizer, or that burns hot enough to oxidizer other materials, will keep going.

From a chemistry perspective, 250 should do the trick.