View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 05:01 PM
seminolepilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by clueless View Post
Agree, but only partially...

Those new hire assessments are management's attempt to bypass Professional Standards. I know when I was a new hire, the ACP would read the CA's comments to me during the quarterly meetings... "Captain Joe Schmoe said that you handled a crosswind landing into Dulles" or "Captain whoever said you did good here or there".

So as a captain, there is no way that I am writing anything negative about any pilot on that new hire assessment. If I think of something the FO can improve on, I'll tell him/her. If for some reason my instruction and guidance isn't sufficient, and I think the issue still needs to be addressed, I'll go to pro standards. I'm NOT writing a comment to management telling them...that's for sure.
I feel the same way, I’ve never been a fan of the new hire assessments. It seems like it’s ammo for the company to use if something happens before the probation period is up. Most new hires are pretty sharp but if someone isn’t I rather them get the help they need vs. getting drug into the office to hear a ridiculous lecture.