View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 08:09 PM
Davetastic
Ice-bagger

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by DC8DRIVER View Post
The point was that this is a toxic work environment and the retort was that our toxic work environment is all "self inflicted".

How are contractual scheduling violations "self inflicted"?
How are contractually interrupted rest periods "self inflicted"?
How are contractual crew member contact violations "self inflicted"?
How are threatening corporate communications "self inflicted"?
How are significantly sub-par wages "self inflicted"?
How is inadequate staffing "self inflicted"?
How is inadequate catering "self inflicted"?

It is the work environment created by Atlas management that is in question here NOT the inter-crew communications on the plane. You think the cockpit is the toxic environment? Well mine isn't. I leave hate and anger on the ramp as do most every one of the other Atlas pilots that I know. There is no place for hate and anger in on the flight deck. Professional pilots know this. That doesn't mean that there can't be discussions about company or union issues, but it is not ever toxic. The toxicity comes from the company. Period.

You think that the Hong Kong incident had anything to do with contractual disagreements in the cockpit? Or the Narita runway incident? Or the GNE on the NAT tracks? Or the incidents at Port Harcourt, Jabara, Anchorage, or LAX? NONE of those had an ounce of blame on union issues or contractual disagreements in the cockpit. Several of those incidents could have resulted in a hull loss and the low time captains paired with low time FO's do not skew the odds at all in favor of safety.

I have nothing but respect for the new hire crew members that I fly with. We are getting some great pilots here, but flying is 10% skill and 90% judgement and that judgement comes from experience and we are accumulating a significant lack of experience at Atlas.

We are losing seasoned pilots and with that loss of experience comes an increased risk. It's that simple.
HOLY SH!T! Relax 8!

I agree with all of your points but it is only toxic to the point that you allow it to affect you! On a day to day basis, how does any of what the company is doing to us really affect your decision making as a professional pilot? In my world......zero. It is the nature of doing business. I guess that is the difference between me and you......you think that a toxic work environment is one that is unacceptable to you(for the aforementioned reasons and you let it manipulate you) and I think that a toxic work environment is one that is able to be proven in a court of law.

It's OK. I agree with you. I think that the nature of our negotiations is unacceptable too, but that won't change the pace of anything. So, what can I do? Should I spin out of control, or go home to my family and leave work behind while I am still employed by Atlas for the time being. That is all I am suggesting.