View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 07:26 AM
DashAviator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Pilotlyfe:

I wouldn't plan to make a career at ANY regional, just because so few of them survive more than about twenty years. Do some research, find a place with decent pay and work rules. Avoid commuting. Get a few thousand hours of Part 121 SIC and PIC experience and move on to a major.

About twenty years ago, I was working for a Part 135 company (that no longer exists). My friends at the freight company went to work for ASA, Mesaba, Continental Express, Trans States, and the "old" American Eagle. Most of these companies no longer exist or have changed so much as to be unreckonizable.

The biggest hazard to Horizon's continued existence is a major accident or incident. Not the answer you expected? Most regionals are good for about one accident (see Colgan). Some other "bad" outcomes include: Alaska gets bought out (say, by Delta), or Alaska decides to get out of the regional airline business.

As Excargodog says, life at Horizon moves at a glacial pace. I don't see Horizon going away in the next three to four years. SkyWest and Compass will still be around as well. If you want to work here, then apply.

Last edited by DashAviator; 04-16-2018 at 07:36 AM.