Thread: Afrotc vs. Ang
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 03:12 PM
robspenc
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by Merle Dixon View Post
Hello,

I am a T-38 instructor pilot. We have tons of students, right now, in AF pilot training that are off the street hires. What I mean by that is, 2/3rds of our Guard/Reserve student pilots have no prior military experience. There are Guard units all over the nation that hire college grads that have some flying experience, send them to Officer Training School and AF pilot training.

My advice is hell no to AFROTC. Active-duty pilot retention is terrible and the AF is dying for pilots. Many ANG units need young pilots also. Avoid active-duty like the plague.

Get your degree and earn at least your private pilot certificate. While in college, contact every single Guard fighter unit in the country. Score well on the AFOQT and earn good grades, some Guard unit WILL hire you.
I know it's hard to judge, but do you think that ANG units will be hiring that much in the next few years when I am ready to apply?

Also, I am planning on getting my private pilot's license soon. Is it necessary/beneficial to do any more ratings such as an instrument rating?