Thread: Corp v legacy?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 02:12 PM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Depends on what you want in life. Giggles is right for the most part—money, retirement cash, stability given the present labor market for pilots—a legacy can’t be beat. Corporates will come up with more money, compete on schedules, but the revenue stream isn’t there to match airlines.

That said, I know five pilots, furloughed in the “lost decade” that resigned and stayed in business aviation. DL, UA, and AA. Yes, you’re move would be rare. Crazy, maybe not. Because four of them were my charges, I can give some thoughts. They all have children approaching college or in college, have homes in the expensive Northeast and live local. The 10 minute commute is a factor, being home without the commute is nice. How much money do you need remembering the “check of the month club”? We all found we had enough and more wasn’t going to change our lifestyle as much as the commuting, seniority, relentless schedule grind would. Our department was sized, so last minute emergencies were dealt with easily. We covered each other for all kinds of things, children sick, holidays, deaths of parents. We didn’t clean planes, pros met us on arrival and did so on the road, if needed. Flight attendants handled catering, passengers were known to us. No, TSA BS, customs and immigration were on board the plane. Handlers made all arrangements, world-wide, phones provided. Each plane had a “crew chief” and they were led by a DOM. Scheduled time off eac month, three to four weeks vacation.

Ask questions during any interview.

GF