View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 06:17 AM
atsfdx
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: A-300 Captain
Default More Hong Kong Info

A Little More HKG Info

I am a Subic-based F/O who chose that position as a new-hire. I have been there for 2.5 years. I voted no on the LOA but am bidding HKG if I can hold it as a Captain.

I just finished a couple days in Hong Kong and wanted to pass along some info. I will try to pass web-links where available so that anyone who wishes can verify info for themselves.

Housing - A wealth of information on housing is available on www.hongkonghomes.com . This site provides pictures, square feet and can be searched by nearly any HKG area and price range. Remember, 21,000 HKD is equal to our $2700.00 housing allowance.

My wife and I spent a day with a realtor in Discovery Bay (one of the places mentioned on the Cartus website www.cartusresources.com/FedEx/login.php and looked at about seven different properties ranging from 21,000 - 30,000 HKD. Three were furnished. The provided furnishings in only one of the furnished places would I deem acceptable for my family. Very few apartments have storage in the bedrooms. Those that do have storage sacrifice square footage for said storage. Average bed room sizes are 11 by 11 sq ft; that is before being reduced by additional closet space that you may or may not want to provide. Measure your queen or double bed and try to fit that and a dresser in there. No hanging space is provided, as no closets are provided. Kitchens are small with the minimum required appliances. All apartments that I saw had a non frost-free refrigerator, which is ½ the size of a normal refrigerator, combo washer/dryer (drying and washing in same machine), and a 2-, 3- or 4-eye gas stove and oven. An approximately fifteen square foot storage space off of the kitchen, if provided, doubles as a maid quarters/bathroom. All units did have adequate a/c units; at least one per room. The living and dining areas, as large as 13 by 22 square foot, are adequate in size for my family.

Housing Costs - Typically, two months deposit plus first month’s rent is due. The realtor I dealt with advised that her realtor’s fee is 50% of monthly rent. There is also a 30% government fee. Ensure that the rental you choose has no hidden government/hoa fees. These fees are listed at the bottom of every listing on hongkonghomes.com. The rents can also increase 10% every year, so it is best to lock in your rental contract for as long as you think you want to stay in that location to keep your rent steady. My realtor, who lives on Hong Kong island, says that her electric bill is approx 200 USD/mo. She said water is cheap.

Schooling - Schooling, I understand, is an option. I opt to keep my kids in school and therefore provide the following information on schools in Hong Kong. My first preference is the American International School (www.ais.edu.hk). The tuition is approximately $13,000 USD per year. There is no debenture. The penalty I pay for using that school and living in Discovery Bay is that my child has to ride 50 minutes of public transportation one way to/from school every day. Other schools that are available, i.e., Australian International School would have the same logistics requirements to/from but also require a debenture (a large deposit usually paid by your employer). If your employer is not willing to pay the debenture, a private, lesser, debenture can be paid at your expense. In order to qualify for the private debenture, your employer must provide, on company letterhead, an official acknowledgement that they are unwilling/unable to pay the corporate debenture (http://www.aishk.edu.hk/school/enrolment.shtml#debentures).

I chose Discovery Bay as the location that I would most likely live. Why, you ask? It is an expat community with a nice, quaint piazza around which there are numerous shops and restaurants which serve all varieties of cuisine. There is a market, medical, and fitness facilities all within the complex. The shortcomings of living in D-Bay is it’s isolation. There are no cars allowed here by any residents. The only way in or out is by public transportation, be it ferry from Central, bus from Sunny Bay MRT or the airport, or cab. To get to the airport, one must take a bus which will always pass through Cathay City enroute, as there are a lot of Cathay and Dragonair employees residing in D-Bay.

Discovery Bay is nearest the Sunny Bay MTR stop. Kowloon Tong is a school district where The American Int’l School, Australian Int’l School, and many others are located. (www.hong-kong-travel.org/MTRKCRMap.asp).

Interested parties, please ask questions in this forum and I will try to provide verifiable answers. I only have provided this because I haven’t seen it provided for us from the company or Union. People bidding these domiciles should not do so uninformed. After all, it’s not an LOA...