View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 11:45 AM
NoHaz
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Fortunately, my opinion on this means nothing.

Hey, if ALPA can get this turned off, great. That will just postpone the inevitable. Part of me thinks they would be better off ensuring a realistic, unbiased evaluation of this idea is completed and ALPA is a part of publishing the results.

The technology to accomplish this shouldn't be where we focus resistance. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be. It's about safety and the significant reduction in safety that would result by putting a single pilot in the same environment we current operate with two. Someone who can't possibly understand the ramifications of this change but just sees the simplistic fact that technology can do it will always be trying. Help them understand why it's a terrible idea from a safety and operator's standpoint and perhaps they'll be less likely to continue pushing for it.

On top of all that, I'd love to see a proposed price and specific plan for the required hardware and flight deck layout changes to accomplish a 777F conversion to single pilot.
As long as it doesn't morph into, "We should support it so we have a seat at the table" and "the train has left the station" mindset that ALPA used to justify supporting age change despite majority of members not supporting.

I can see the survey now, "If the FAA changes the crew required for Cargo operations would you like ALPA to be part of the implementation?"

Last edited by NoHaz; 04-20-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: gooned it