View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 06:42 AM
Quarryman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Originally Posted by DiveAndDrive View Post
Hello all. Had a very early show this AM. So I’m probably being a little prissy. But I am wondering if some of my frustration is warranted.

Let me preface this. I know I choose to commute, and I also know JS’ing is a privilege. I also work for a 135 operation, so I KNOW I am blessed to have CASS abilities. Lastly, I’ve been in the industry in some capacity or another for almost 5 years. I know some gate agents can be just be difficult.

Any way, I was trying to JS home after a 3 week stint away. I was going between two class bravos, is all I’ll say, so you can safely assume there are several options.

Option 1, on legacy’s regional 1 is where the problem happened. I walked up to the gate agent and asked if she could list me for the jumpseat. Her immediate, indifferent response was “We already have a jumpseater, we have another one standing by, and were completely full. You’re not getting on”. I was frustrated, but I remained polite and professional. I replied with “If it’s okay with you, I’d still like to try just in case someone no shows. I have to wait here until I get on a flight anyway, so I might as well give it a try. Can you please list me?” (Note... I was actually already listed, I just needed to be checked in). She huffed, rolled her eyes, and asked me for my information. I gave it to her, and she checked me in. This all happened approximately 45 minutes prior to departure. They started boarding like 30 early. Boarding went quickly and the plane was completely boarded well before 10 prior. They were missing one passenger, so I literally stood by. At 10 prior, they gave me the valet tags, but no boarding pass. The pax showed up at 9 prior and the gate agent looks at me, shrugs, says “we’re full” and then rushed her and the pax on board and shut the door in my face. A co worker of mine was hanging out with me before his showtime, and he saw everything. He also said he’s had problems with that agent in the past.

Again, I’m not expecting the red carpet treatment. At all. I mean. You can literally throw me in the cargo bin as long as it gets me to/from work. And I am tired, so maybe my personality is just off. But I was taken a little aback. I ended up getting on legacy carrier 2, an hour later, so I’m just glad to be home. But I am curious... if you were me, would you have talked to her supervisor about her demeanor and actions?
Classic CLT E concourse experience. The valet tags tell me you were riding on an express carrier. It's how the game works. Talking to her boss won't work even if you worked for the same company (unless she snapped her fingers in your face in a 'Z' formation or uttered some unintelligible remark, but your complaint will only get her promoted to a supervisor). Relax knowing that even the employees who work for the same airline get treated that way too.