Thread: Afrotc vs. Ang
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 10:39 AM
kbay hombre
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
Can’t have turned 30 by the time you start, but waivers at the ANG/AFRC level seem fairly easy right now. I know a 37 year old, 35 year old, and a couple 32 year olds in the queue. Not all units are willing to pursue waivers, but ANG/AFRC currently seem to be approving them.
Whoa. 37? He'll be hitting middle age around the time he finishes everything and starts his first tour. Don't get me wrong, that's awesome. It's just hard to reconcile with ten years ago when the only guys over 30 who could get into a military flight training program were Army guard guys, and even then, I remember when the max age for even the Army was 34. Remember when we were balls deep in the recession and officers/pilots were staying in? Retention went up for a while, promotion zones shrank, and I know the Navy wasn't doing a lot of age waivers for flight school.

It isn't just the majors who are going through shortages and a hiring boom; I guess now is definitely a good time to join any branch if you're 30+ and want to fly.