View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
For clarity: I've seen RVR reported for multiple runways (R18L/0500;R18R/0500), but how would I see dilineated positions?
Typically, the lower the vis, the more RVRs values are reported. They can be put into METAR format in ATIS and I haven't seen one particular standard. It can be as simple as "RVR 500/700/300" (with the first being TDZ, then MID and RO). When the weather is down to CAT-3 (or even CAT-2) minimums and 2-3 RVR values are required and being reported, they are usually being reported verbally by the Tower. The reports can be provided as often as every 10-15 seconds and rarely go longer than a minute without an update. This is due to the fact that reports below minimums on CAT-3 approaches even after established on final require a go-around prior to alert height. It's not realistic to expect a crew on an approach to be constantly checking ATIS for new RVR information that could be changing rapidly.

Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
Additionally, if all three positions are operating, I would assume that if one of the positions reported less than minimums I'd not be able to takeoff -- if that same unit were offline and not reporting this wouldn't matter -- correct?
Correct on both statements.