View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 05:13 PM
PurpleToolBox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Originally Posted by kc10/c130 View Post
I can't disagree with a lot of what he pointed out except for on the 777. Pretty much rocks to be able to get your high 5 while sitting reserve and only flying 100 hours a year. But what do I know. I couldn't afford the pay cut to go to the 757 Captain seat and they work way too much.
I am not calling you a liar, but could you show me using the highest paying FO scale how that math works out -- sitting reserves and only flying 100 hours and getting high fives? You need to average 120 CH a month to do that on the highest scale. While sitting reserves and 100 hours a year? Seems fishy.

I am on the 777 and I am trying to fly as much as possible and there's no way I'm going to have a high five. I am not as senior as you. Are you maxed out on the FO scale?

Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
My experience couldn't be more different than what Purpletoolbox has stated.

I'm not on the 777
Yes, you're right. You haven't been excessed, and you're not on the 777. The other wide bodies have typical hub turn flying mixed in with international so their schedules and scheduling flexibility and ability to get draft and extra work are very different than the 777.

Originally Posted by BrulesRulez View Post
If FedEx isn't good then why are pilots (Let's say average 2 years or less company time) from the Big 3 + SWA coming to FedEx?
My post wasn't about what airline is the best. My post was about someone asking about FedEx and some of his/her questions struck a point of contention with me. People need to be told the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Did you know the company held focus groups comprised of junior and mid-senior pilots, asking them how FedEx could improve the quality of pilots applying to FedEx? One of my FOs was part of the focus groups. I find it interesting that the company is doing this. Are they having problems finding top quality recruits now? I know that EVERYBODY in my reserve unit ... EVERYONE wants to work for Delta and/or is working for Delta besides me. FedEx is like a four letter dirty word now in some units.

We need to be honest with people who are looking to come to FedEx. Not to be rude, but if you haven't worked at other airlines, you just don't know what you don't know. That may or may not be you.

People online here talk like the feces doesn't stink here, but there's plenty of it that does. And I've only scratched the surface.

Would I want to be back at my old airline flying multiple legs a day? Honestly, probably no. I have no regrets coming here but I cringe when I hear people junior to me on the same piece of equipment telling me they're having high fives when I'm not even close. How can that be? What huge piece of contract language am I missing?

Look at a 10-year FO. If you use the industry standard of 1000 CH a year X pay rate of $200.48, that works out to a rounded $200,000. Where's the other $60,000 coming from? And doing that while sitting reserve? I have to throw a flag on that play. What am I missing? I am willing to listen and learn.

BUT ANOTHER BIG WORK RULE THAT SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTS YOUR QOL HERE AT FEDEX THAT NEW HIRES FROM OTHER AIRLINES NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ..

FedEx DOES NOT want you commuting directly into long haul flights. Meaning, you need to come in the night or day before your long hault flight checks in and have "crew rest." I put the quotes around crew rest because those words are not in the CBA. Unlike the other major airlines where 95% of the pilots domiciled in the NYC bases and others commute directly into a long haul flights, FedEx prohibits you from using FedEx aircraft jumpseats for jumpseating to the AOC and then immediately signing in for a long haul flight.

Worse, the company has retaliated against those who have done this. They went after a 777 new hire who did it and also removed a senior 777 FO from his flight because he was on the same jumpseat jet as the new hire. A two for one. The new hire ended up quitting FedEx. The union tap danced and was able to secure general makeup for the senior FO who was removed from the trip. Precedence was set and FedEx doesn't allow this. When you violate this provision in the CBA, and many do, you are hanging it out there.

However, if you legally jumpseated into a trip and were under the 13 hour duty day provision, SHOULD your operational flight be operationally delayed and you call the schedulers crying fatigue, the company will be quick to tell you that jumpseating does not count against your duty day and that you should be well rested. They want it both ways. Either jumpseating directly into work counts against your duty day, or it doesn't. FARs say it doesn't. But once again our CBA has some stupid language in it which allows pilots to hang themselves and gives the company ammunition to discipline you.

Another small fine print those coming here need to be aware of.